Children and adolescent need adequate sleep. Sleep is not only necessary for their body, it is important for their brains too. Lack of sleep can have negative effects on children’s growth and performance in school, extracurricular activities, and their social relationship.
Insufficient sleep can cause:
- Daytime behavioural problems like aggressiveness and hyperactivity
- Poor performance in school due to lack of concentration
- Poor memory
- Learning difficulties
- Irritability and mood problems
- Slower reaction time
- Injuries and accidents
Signs of Sleeping Disorders in Children
If your child has any of the following signs, please consult a doctor:
- Short period of stoppages of breathing through the night
- Recurrent loud snoring more than 3 times a week, for months
- Difficulty waking up in the morning
- Problems with staying awake during the day
- Teeth grinding
- Unexplained poor school results, performance
- Unusual event during sleep
- Unexplained frequent bedwetting
- Problems sleeping throughout the night
There are many factors that can affect your child’s sleep. The underlying causes are often treatable.
We offer hospital-based and home-based sleep study for your convenience. Consult our senior specialist Dr YT Pang at CENTAS for an accurate diagnosis of your child’s sleep problem. Treatment for sleep disorders results in improved physical and mental health.